(Picture in courtesy of Pet Society)
Together with the rest of the nation, Ah Fook mourns the death of the great Dr Goh Keng Swee who created Singapore.
In the beginning when Singapore was in a mess, this is what Dr Goh has done for the country:
- He started the Economic Development Board to attract foreign MNCs to invest in Singapore, though nobody trusted MNCs in those days, thinking they were only good for exploiting three world countries' labour force
- He transformed the swamp called Jurong into a busy industrial estate, providing jobs for Singaporeans
- Upon leaving Malaya in 1965, he created National Service to make it mandatory for young men to be trained to protect the country
- He established the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation to invest the country's excess reserves, so that we could earn more money
- He suggested the Jurong Bird Park, Singapore Zoo and even the Underwater World in Sentosa at a later stage
- He started the Singapore Symphony Orchestra and backed the construction of the Kreta Ayer People's Theatre in his constituency as a venue for Chinese opera performances
- To minimise school drop-outs, he created the streaming system to ensure academically poor students get a chance to study at a slower pace
Dr Goh has done much more than what has been listed here, and it takes more than just a blog post to honor all that he has done and achieved. Ah Fook salutes Dr Goh and reckons that he might not see another great man like Dr Goh Keng Swee again in his life time.
Rest in peace, Dr Goh.
What's happening: Obituary - Goh Keng Swee 1918-2010