Thursday, November 12, 2009

Shakespeare in Singlish - Romeo and Juliet, Act 3

Act 3, Scene 1

Benvolio and Mercutio, together with other Montagues, crossed the path of the Capulets, including Tybalt and Petruchio. In the midst of their argument, Romeo arrived.

TYBALT
Romeo, the love I bear thee can afford
No better term than this: thou art a villain.

(Translation)
Romeo, there love I have for you has only
one word for you: You chao ah beng.


Romeo dismissed him and wanted to leave peacefully.

ROMEO
But love thee better than thou canst devise,
Till thou shalt know the reason of my love.
And so, good Capulet—which name I tender
As dearly as my own—be satisfied.

(Translation)
I love you more than you can understand,
aiyah, you'll know the reason of my love lah.
So, good Capulet - which is a name I love
like my own name - be satisfied, okay?


However Mercutio felt what Romeo remarked was dishonorable and proceeded to challenge Tybalt with a sword fight anyway. Romeo tried to break up the fight but Tybalt reached under his arm and stabs Mercutio.

MERCUTIO
A plague o' both your houses!
They have made worms' meat of me. I have it,
And soundly too. Your houses!

(Translation)
KNN! May a plague strike both your families!
They've turned me into food for the worms.
Wa si liao.
Curse the two of you families lah!


After Mercutio died, Tybalt returned to the scene.

ROMEO
Now, Tybalt, take the “villain” back again
That late thou gavest me, for Mercutio’s soul
Is but a little way above our heads,
Staying for thine to keep him company.
Either thou or I, or both, must go with him.

(Translation)
Tybalt, you called me "chao ah beng" now.
Mercutio's soul is floating above our heads,
waiting for you to go keep him company.
Either you, or I, or both of us have to go with him.


They fought and Tybalt was killed by Romeo. Benvolio urged Romeo to flee because the Prince will give him the death penalty if he got caught. When the Prince learned of the death of his relative Mercutio, he was very furious and commanded to exile Romeo from Verona. At the same time, Lady Capulet was also angry with Romeo for killing her nephew.

Act 3, Scene 2

Juliet's nurse brought her the bad news that Tybalt was dead and Romeo has been banished.

JULIET
“Romeo is banishèd.”
There is no end, no limit, measure, bound,
In that word’s death. No words can that woe sound.

(Translation)
“Romeo has been banished.”
That word is like death to infinity.
No words can express that kind of pain.


Act 3, Scene 3

FRIAR LAWRENCE
Romeo, come forth. Come forth, thou fearful man.
Affliction is enamoured of thy parts,
And thou art wedded to calamity.

(Translation)
Romeo, come out. Come out, you frightened man.
Trouble machiam like you very much hor,
and you machiam married to disaster also.


Romeo was in total despair and broke down, thinking that he will never see Juliet anymore. However Friar Lawrence had an idea. He advised Romeo to look for Juliet at her bedroom during the night as promised, then on the next morning escape to the city of Mantua. He will live in Mantua till his marriage can be made public and the two families made peace. Friar Lawrence will also try to beg the Prince to pardon him.

Act 3, Scene 4

Paris requested to see Juliet for the night but she has locked herself up in her room. Capulet felt that Juliet must be too sad due to her cousin Tybalt's death. However he promised Paris that Juliet will marry him three days later.

Act 3, Scene 5

JULIET
Wilt thou be gone? It is not yet near day.
It was the nightingale, and not the lark,
That pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear.

(Translation)
You want to go already? Still not morning lah.
What you heard was the sound of a nightingale which sings at night,
not the lark that calls in the morning lah.


Though reluctant, Juliet has to let Romeo go as it was indeed daytime and her nurse has warned that her mother was on the way to her room.

LADY CAPULET
Marry, my child, early next Thursday morn,
The gallant, young, and noble gentleman,
The County Paris, at Saint Peter’s Church,
Shall happily make thee there a joyful bride.

Juliet was shocked by the news of her arranged marriage and told her mother she did not want to be married in such a rush. When Capulet heard that Juliet refused the marriage, he was furious and decided that she will be married in three days' time, whether she liked it or not.

CAPULET
Lay hand on heart, advise.
An you be mine, I’ll give you to my friend.
An you be not, hang, beg, starve, die in the streets,
For, by my soul, I’ll ne'er acknowledge thee,
Nor what is mine shall never do thee good.

(Translation)
Put your hand on your heard and listen.
Act like my daughter, and I'll marry you to my friend.
If you don't act like my daughter, you can go beg, starve, and die in the streets.
I swear I will never acknowledge you
or do anything for you.


The nurse too advised Juliet to marry Paris since Romeo is already banished and she doubted that Juliet can ever see him again. Disheartened, Juliet sent the nurse off and decided to look for Friar Lawrence for advice instead.

No comments: