Saturday, November 7, 2009

Shakespeare in Singlish - Macbeth, Act 3

Act 3, Scene 1

Banquo reflected upon the three witches' prediction and suspected that Macbeth has cheated to become king. But he decided not to think about it, and will attend Macbeth's ceremonial feast. Before that, he went for some riding.

Meanwhile, Macbeth still could not get over the three witches' prediction that though he will become king, Banquo's sons will be the heirs to the throne.

MACBETH
If ’t be so,
For Banquo’s issue have I filed my mind;
For them the gracious Duncan have I murdered;
Put rancors in the vessel of my peace
Only for them; and mine eternal jewel
Given to the common enemy of man,
To make them kings, the seed of Banquo kings!

(Translation)
If like that har,
that means I've tortured myself mentally
and murdered the gracious Duncan for Banquo's sons.
Now I got no peace but they'll benefit.
I sold my soul to the devil so that they'll become kings.
KNN, Banquo's sons to become kings!


So Macbeth secretly recruited two murderers and managed to convince them that Banquo was the one responsible for them to be put away, and requested them to kill Banquo and his son Fleance.

Act 3, Scene 2

LADY MACBETH
How now, my lord! Why do you keep alone,
Of sorriest fancies your companions making,
Using those thoughts which should indeed have died
With them they think on? Things without all remedy
Should be without regard. What’s done is done.

(Translation)
Why leh, my lord? Why you keep to yourself,
and keep thinking of sad thoughts?
Those thoughts should have died when you killed the men you're thinking about.
If you cannot fix it, then don't think about it liao.
What's done is done.


MACBETH
Better be with the dead,
Whom we, to gain our peace, have sent to peace,
Than on the torture of the mind to lie
In restless ecstasy.

(Translation)
I rather die together with those we killed,
better than now got these endless mental torture, and some more cannot sleep.
I thought we killed those men and sent them to rest in peace so that we could gain our own peace.


Act 3, Scene 3

The murderers managed to kill Banquo on the way to Macbeth's dinner feast, but his son Fleance escaped.

Act 3, Scene 4

At the dinner feast, one of the murderers reported secretly to Macbeth that though Banquo was killed, Fleance has escaped.

MACBETH
There the grown serpent lies. The worm that’s fled
Hath nature that in time will venom breed;
No teeth for th' present.

(Translation)
Now the adult snake lies dead in the ditch.
The young snake that escaped will become poisonous one day
but heng he got no fangs now.


However when Macbeth returned to the dinner table, he saw the ghost of Banquo sitting in his seat.

MACBETH
Thou canst not say I did it. Never shake
Thy gory locks at me.

(Translation)
Oui! You cannot any how say I did it hor.
Don't shake your bloody head at me leh.


The dinner guests were all stunted but Lady Macbeth gave the excuse that Macbeth was having his regular fit and will be okay after a while, so they should continue eating.

LADY MACBETH
Why do you make such faces? When all’s done,
You look but on a stool.

(Translation)
Why your face like that? When the vision passed,
you'll realise that there is only a stool there.


But the ghost of Banquo kept appearing and disappearing and Macbeth was very disturbed by it.

MACBETH
You make me strange
Even to the disposition that I owe,
When now I think you can behold such sights,
And keep the natural ruby of your cheeks,
When mine is blanched with fear.

(Translation)
You all make it look as if I don't know myself,
How come you all see these terrible things already
can still be so zai,
when I'm so scared until my face white already.


In the end, Lady Macbeth has no choice but to end the feast and request the guests to leave. After they have left, Macbeth told Lady Macbeth that he will visit the three witches again to know more about his future.

MACBETH
For mine own good,
All causes shall give way. I am in blood
Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.

(Translation)
Now the number one thing is my own safety liao.
I've walked so far into this river of blood
that even if I want to stop now,
go back also damn siong.


Act 3, Scene 5

Hecate, the mistress of the three witches, was scolding them for telling Macbeth prophecies about his future behind her back. But she has got her own plans.

HECATE
Shall raise such artificial sprites
As by the strength of their illusion
Shall draw him on to his confusion.
He shall spurn fate, scorn death, and bear
His hopes 'bove wisdom, grace, and fear.
And you all know, security
Is mortals' chiefest enemy.

(Translation)
Magical spirits will be produced
to trick Macbeth with illusions.
He'll think that he can control fate, mock death,
and thought he is above wisdom, grace and fear.
You all know right,
overconfidence is a man's greatest enemy.


Act 3, Scene 6

Lennox was getting suspicious about how Duncan and Banquo have died and their sons fled the scene. One lord told him secretly that one of Duncan's son Malcolm has gone to England to join King Edward. Macduff has also gone there to ask King Edward to help him form an alliance with the people of Northumberland and their lord, Siward, to fight Macbeth.

No comments: