Thursday, November 12, 2009

Shakespeare in Singlish - Romeo and Juliet, Act 1

Act 1, Scene 1

One the street, Sampson and Gregory, servants of the house of Capulet, started a fight with Abram, a Montague’s servant. Montague’s nephew Benvolio came upon them fighting and drew his sword to stop the fight. Then Juliet’s cousin Tybalt saw Benvolio drawing his sword and he in turn drew his and joined in the fight. The old Capulet and old Montague and their wives arrived at the scene. Both old men saw each other with red eyes and wanted to start a fight themselves, only to be stopped back their respective wives. Fortunately, Prince Escalus arrived to stop the fight.

Montague and his wife were also worried about Romeo who appeared to be troubled these days. Benvolio decided to sound him out and after talking to him, found out that he was out of love.

BENVOLIO
By giving liberty unto thine eyes.
Examine other beauties.

(Translation)
Open your eyes lah.
Got so many other pretty girls around.


Act 1, Scene 2

Capulet has organised a feast for the night and invited Paris who was his daughter Juliet's suitor. He has rejected Paris' marriage offer as he thought Juliet who was not even fourteen years old was too young, so he hoped Paris could find someone else to love during the dinner.

Capulet then gave his servant Peter a list of the guests to invite. Unknown to Capulet, Peter was illiterate but the troubled Peter met Romeo and Benvolio on the way. Unaware of their identities, he asked Romeo to help him with the list.

Benvolio pointed out that since Rosaline whom Romeo loved will be at Capulet’s traditional feast, Romeo should attend the feast so that when he saw with his own eyes the other beautiful women in Verona and compare them to Rosaline, he will realise that Rosaline was not worth it.

ROMEO
I’ll go along, no such sight to be shown,
But to rejoice in splendor of mine own.

(Translation)
I'll go lah. But not because you can show me someone better hor,
I go there to see the woman I love.


Act 1, Scene 3

Lady Capulet told Juliet that Paris was asking for her hand, and since Juliet will be fourteen and the right age for marriage in two weeks' time, she should take a hard look at Paris during the dinner and decide if she will like to be married to him.

Act 1, Scene 4

Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio attended the dinner dressed in masks like the others.

ROMEO
I fear too early, for my mind misgives
Some consequence yet hanging in the stars
Shall bitterly begin his fearful date
With this night’s revels, and expire the term
Of a despisèd life closed in my breast
By some vile forfeit of untimely death.

(Translation)
I think we're too early leh.
I got a feeling this party tonight is the starting of something bad,
something that will end my life.


Act 1, Scene 5

After the dinner, Capulet urged all to start dancing. However the depressed Romeo stood away. Then he saw Juliet.

ROMEO
Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night.

(Translation)
OMG... my heart got ever love anyone before now meh?
Last time must be bachew da stamp,
because I never see anyone so pretty before tonight.


Just then, Capulet's nephew Tybalt heard Romeo and recognised his voice. He was all ready to pull out his sword to kill Romeo but Capulet stopped him because he did not want to spoil the party. Meanwhile, Romeo and Juliet met and started kissing.

ROMEO
Thus from my lips, by thine, my sin is purged.

(Translation)
Now my sins have been taken away from my lips by your lips.


JULIET
Then have my lips the sin that they have took.

(Translation)
Then do my lips now have the sin they took from your lips?


Then Juliet's mother called for her and only then did Romeo realised who she was.

ROMEO
Is she a Capulet?
O dear account! My life is my foe’s debt.

(Translation)
Har, she is a Capulet?
Siao liao! My life is in the hands of my enemy.


Romeo and his gang then decided to leave the party. As they walked to the door, Juliet asked her nurse who he was and was told that he was Romeo and a Montague.

JULIET
My only love sprung from my only hate!
Too early seen unknown, and known too late!
Prodigious birth of love it is to me,
That I must love a loathèd enemy.

(Translation)
The only man I love is the son of the only man I hate!
I saw him too early liao, before I know who he was,
and I found out his identity too late!
Love damn jia lat leh,
for making me fall in love with my worst enemy.

No comments: