Sunday, May 1, 2011

My mom's vote and my vote

During lunch in a kopi tiam, I was telling Mom not to cook my dinner as I might be going to Party X's rally...

Mom: But Party X is not even contesting in our constituency!
Me: Yah I know, but the opposition party here cannot make it leh! Some more I only support Party X...
Mom: You really too free...
Me: No lah, we cannot just look at our own constituency mah, our votes affect the whole country one leh! So to support Party X, I'm going to buy their little flags and hang in the car!
Mom: Choy! How can you hang such things in the car!
Me: Why not? Not as if mada will catch...
Mom: Why go and challenge the gahmen? Not worth the risk right! Aiyah, anyway don't say already lah! Here so many people, these kinda things wait till go home then say!

And that is a perfect illustration of the older and younger generation of voters here in Singapore.

I'm pretty sure my Mom is going to vote for that party. Not because she really supports and agrees with them, because I've heard her complaining about their policies in the comfort of our home. But she'll still vote for them just to be safe.

And me? I don't like to live in fear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha Party X? WP right? ;)

I live in Aljunied GRC but unfortunately I miss 21 years by 1 month so I cannot vote in this GE. My parents are going to vote PAP because they are scared later kena blacklisted by gahmen. Plus my dad believes in the Straits Times 100%. I think the older generation don't question the government much on their policies because of their lower education, so they can't think for themselves and are always brainwashed by the Mainstream Media. They are afraid of the govt because of past strong-arm tactics by the PAP to use the ISA against their political opponents and/or sue them until they are bankrupt. Even now, the PAP has a 'symbiotic r/ship' with the NTUC, controls many GLCs and state institutions (which in other countries are independent from the ruling-gvt of the day) including the state media. So, in a way, the fears of the older generation are not unfounded.

But I believe that, if young Singaporeans dare to take the first step in voicing their opinions on politics freely, then it will encourage those who are in doubt to speak up too. With enough people discussing opposition politics in the open, when it becomes a majority thing, no one can stop it. Something will always remain dangerous to you only if you fear it.

L. said...

seems like you beloved mom, had been brainwashed. What strikes me most is that dun sounded like love or support of the party but FEAR of the party. Not a good sign.

Unknown said...

it's sad that while we call ourselves "Republic" of Singapore and a "Democratic" society, at times like this, our gahmen is behaving like a Communist. :(